Jack has always had pretty sensitive skin and so we were only slightly concerned when he developed hives after we tried to offer him a peanut butter sandwich, but we mentioned it to his pediatrician just in case. After a long morning of pokes and pricks at the allergist we found out that Jack is definitely allergic to peanuts and possibly eggs and dogs (I know... that is a strange grouping of allergies huh?!) So we will be armed from here on out with Benadryl and an EpiPen. Luckily, the allergist said that real intense allergic reactions are pretty rare so hopefully that will be the case here. I have to admit that I was pretty sad when we got the news for a number of reasons. After getting over my innitial fears, I realized on a lighter note that I was sad Jack would never get to experience all of the wonderful peanut butter candy and confections that I have grown to love and crave. For example, my favorite flavor of Ben & Jerry's, Chubby Hubby, has these lovely chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels. Oh well, I guess he won't miss what he hasn't tasted. I think it is going to be a big adjustment at first, but we'll get used to studying ingredient lists and eating safe ice cream and fruit candy like Skittles and Starburst. I guess that means that I will just have to save Chubby Hubby for really special occasions, which is probably a good thing.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
No Peanuts for our Little Peanut
Jack has always had pretty sensitive skin and so we were only slightly concerned when he developed hives after we tried to offer him a peanut butter sandwich, but we mentioned it to his pediatrician just in case. After a long morning of pokes and pricks at the allergist we found out that Jack is definitely allergic to peanuts and possibly eggs and dogs (I know... that is a strange grouping of allergies huh?!) So we will be armed from here on out with Benadryl and an EpiPen. Luckily, the allergist said that real intense allergic reactions are pretty rare so hopefully that will be the case here. I have to admit that I was pretty sad when we got the news for a number of reasons. After getting over my innitial fears, I realized on a lighter note that I was sad Jack would never get to experience all of the wonderful peanut butter candy and confections that I have grown to love and crave. For example, my favorite flavor of Ben & Jerry's, Chubby Hubby, has these lovely chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels. Oh well, I guess he won't miss what he hasn't tasted. I think it is going to be a big adjustment at first, but we'll get used to studying ingredient lists and eating safe ice cream and fruit candy like Skittles and Starburst. I guess that means that I will just have to save Chubby Hubby for really special occasions, which is probably a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Think of the positives - no risk of salmonella poisoning from peanuts for Jack, no flu shots for Jack, more delicious chubby hubby for you!
Oh man, that is kind of a bummer, but at least now you know for sure and won't have to worry too much! I love peanut butter too, but at least he isn't allergic to chocolate! :)
I am glad you guys found out early. Give Jack a great big hug from Auntie Jen!
What a dummer:( I understand what your going through. It's hard. You have to read everything. You'd be amazed at all the things that you didn't know it was in. That is one of the things that Tristan use to be allergic to. He is my kiddo with lots of allergies. Hang in there:) It'll get easier as the time goes on. Hopefully he'll lose them as he gets older. Tristan's list has grown and shrunk over the past 4 years.
Poor Jack!!! That is so frustrating!!! My Mom is extremely allergic to dogs, it always made me so sad to watch her after she'd been around one. It was murder for like three days after!
So sorry about the peanut allergy! Maybe he will get used to just having jelly sandwiches?? We miss and love you guys!
Post a Comment