Monday, November 17, 2008

ouch

Really, I'm not trying to turn this into a Real Salt Lake blog or anything, there will be more cute pictures of Jack and Anna and family fun to come, but first a little footy. With RSL making it to the Western Conference finals, Mikie and I couldn't resist going to the Rio for the last home playoff game, especially with a trip the MLS cup final on the line. Seriously, that stadium is gorgeous, check it:

Mikie and I sat in the ultras section, behind the south goal and it was a blast. Between the singing, chanting, people with crazy Mexican wrestling masks on, and the flares and smoke bombs thrown on the field (and one that landed in our section and nearly choked everyone out), we had a fun time. The atmosphere was electric.

The only disappointing part was the end result, 1-0 to the Red Bulls. The worst part was that RSL hit the post like 3 times, had the majority of possession and lots of good chances, just no one could finish. Terribly unlucky. I can't be too upset, because this team exceeded all expectations, but RSL really were the better team that night, and, had Javi's shot in the 90+ minute gone in instead of hitting the post, the stadium would've gone completely and absolutely bonkers.
{sigh}

Oh well.
The kind of fun part was after we got home, we watched match highlights on mlsnet.com, a
nd Mikie and I make a brief appearance in the crowd. I've taken a screen shot, and highlighted me (holding up my scarf) and Mikie in his red coat, arms crossed. It comes at about the 9 second mark. (click on the photo to enlarge)


Watch the full highlights here
All in all, a great season with a bitter ending, but there's hope that this is the start of good things to come from RSL. End of soccer posts for at least 3-4 months. (Unless Arsenal can somehow win something, anything. Not likely)

pic above from the excellent RSL Boz blog



3 comments:

Branden said...

Dude, I forgot how big of a soccer fanatic you are. I'm not that big into it but it looks like it would be fun going to a game with you. We'll have to do one together next year.

Lizanne said...

That looks like it was so much fun, I miss going to Real games! I wish we were still there to go with you guys. I like your RSL post a lot, but I also like pictures of Jack. So we need to see Jack sporting some RSL gear!

Carly said...

I second Lizzie's motion! But mostly cause I want more pictures of Jack... :)